Monday, October 23, 2006

Next Generation

The Associated Press carried this newsflash about Democratic superstar Barack Obama:
WASHINGTON -- Sen. Barack Obama acknowledged Sunday he was considering a run for president in 2008, backing off previous statements that he would not do so.

The Illinois Democrat said he could no longer stand by the statements he made after his 2004 election and earlier this year that he would serve a full six-year term in Congress. He said he would not make a decision until after the Nov. 7 elections.
In other words, less than 2 years into his national career, Obama is prepared to abandon the first promise he gave his constituents. That's the kind of integrity I like to see from an aspiring president — but more importantly, he sounds like the perfect candidate to supplant the Clinton reign. Democrats should be ecstatic.

2 Comments:

At October 27, 2006 3:36 PM, Blogger J.D. said...

Oh, Stephen, how I could wax on about my high hopes for Obama, and how they seem to be teetering, not least of all for the very reason you cite.

When I first heard his speech at the DNC, I was blown away. The man stood for something. He was calling a spade a spade. But more than that, he was a passionate speaker, an intelligent speaker, and he was preaching progressive ideals while simultaneously promoting that we discard party affiliations. His speech moved me. When was the last time a politician moved me with a speech? Reagan? Even earlier? I don't know. But Obama did it.

I bought his first book, and read parts of it. It was fine. I should finish it some time.

Then I read the recent Harper's profile of Obama. I got the opinion that the author went in as a fan, but came away, well, disenchanted. "In the land of two-foot midgets, Obama stands two-foot-four," he wrote (or something like that). That is, Obama's better than everything else that's out there. but everything else is pretty shitty.

I move in pretty liberal circles (though I think of myself as mostly a small-i independent). Many of my friends have been speaking excitedly of Obama for the past couple years. I join them. He's excited me. But all the time, we've been saying that we hope he doesn't run in 2008.

But now it seems he will. I can see why he's doing it -- cash in on the popularity -- but I don't think it's a good idea. Or maybe it is. He's been compromising his values for the past couple years, and waiting til 2012 will just produce a bigger record of compromise.

As much as I have always loathed GW Bush, I will give him this: he has a set of ideals, and he stands up for them. That's more than the Democrats do. I just wish I agreed with his ideals.

I agree with many of Obama's ideals, and I love the ways he speaks, but I'm not ready to vote for him for President.

 
At October 30, 2006 7:38 PM, Blogger J.D. said...

Also:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/content/articles/061030on_onlineonly04

Which I have not read yet...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home