Wednesday, January 25, 2006

More Chocolate, Please.

Dunkin' Brands, Inc.
ATTN: Stan Frankenthaler
Executive Chef
130 Royall Street
Canton, MA 02021

Dear Chef Frankenthaler —

More chocolate, please.

I love your Chocolate Frosted Donuts, and I love your Boston Kreme Donuts. I know each has about 200 calories, but what the hell; I'm a slender twentysomething, and I can get away with it. I don't feel guilty when I order them.

I do, however, feel disappointed when I see a rack of Boston Kreme donuts topped with bare little chocolate splotches. Why do you skimp? Is it laziness? I know it isn't cost. Your website says you sell 4 million donuts every day. You're one of the five largest quick-service restaurants in the world. Come on. You can afford a little extra chocolate.

The best donut I ever had was at Krispy Kreme. (Bear with me, here.) The chocolate icing had been mixed so thick that it solidified as a pristine sheet, with a "roof" across the donut hole. I get sentimental just thinking about it. Now that was a donut!

When I was hired by Newbury Comics, my manager told me that no one would ever be fired for being too lenient with a customer. That set the tone for how we did our job: The customer was always right. It seems to me that you have a similar situation. Everyone likes chocolate. Can you imagine some customer storming back into the store and demanding that you wipe off some of his frosting? Of course not. So err on the side of excess. Give us more chocolate.

And while you're at it, please tell your clerks not to smush two frosted donuts together. When you peel them apart, one always comes away with all the chocolate. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home